This service is archived, please use www.eclipse.org/forums

Home » Archived Projects » Kitalpha » Difference between KitAlpha / Capella / Capella Studio (To understand the differences)
Difference between KitAlpha / Capella / Capella Studio [message #1115] Fri, 16 December 2016 09:31 Go to next message
CapellaBeginner is currently offline  CapellaBeginner
Hello Everyone!

During my readings on the different pages of Polarsys, I understood that KitAlpha was the first Polarsys project about MBE programs.

Capella was made with KitAlpha+Sirius through Capella Studio that allowed to create plug-ins for Capella.

But I don't find concreate schemas about these different points...

Could anyone explain me the main difference between these 3 Eclipse Plug-ins?

And by the way, here is the question I will begin some search on : what is the difference between a viewpoint and a perspective? These elements are a little abstract for me and I believed that there were equals... but in fact, they aren't.. So I will begin my search on it now. If anybody have a concreate example, it will be a pleasure too Wink

Thanks a lot

-----
No one could help me on these topics? Sad

[Updated on: Mon, 19 December 2016 03:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Difference between KitAlpha / Capella / Capella Studio [message #1124 is a reply to message #1115] Thu, 22 December 2016 05:23 Go to previous message
boubekeur.zendagui@thales is currently offline  boubekeur.zendagui@thales
Hello,

Thank you for your interest and for the questions.

First, we can separate these three tools in two categories: developer tools and system engineering tools. The first one regroups Kitalpha and Capella Studio, the second one contains Capella.

Capella is a model-based engineering solution, it provides systems, software and hardware architects with rich methodological guidance relying on Arcadia methodology. Capella can be used to modeling any system, a clock radio for example Smile. Capella can be extended by Viewpoints. That viewpoints should be created by developers and recognized by / loaded in Capella.

Capella Studio platform is the IDE dedicated to the creation of viewpoints for Capella. It can be used for other purpose, but is was mainly created to facilitate the creation of viewpoints for Capella. For example, if you want to manage the price of the clock radio, you can use the viewpoint Price available here. This viewpoint is made with Capella Studio.

Kitalpha platform is an IDE for the creation of any model based environment (MBE) or viewpoints for a given MBE. It includes Eclipse frameworks like EMF, Sirius, EGF, etc. and Polarsys/Kitalpha frameworks like Architecture Description, EMDE, Transposer, etc. Some of that components can be used at development time other at run time. The last ones are included in Capella MBE, they allow Capella to manage viewpoints.

Kitalpha intends to implement to ISO/IEC 42010 standard. Sirius, which uses the term "viewpoint", is the graphical component used to define a (ISO/IEC 42010) viewpoint in Kitalpha.

To sum up:
  • Kitalpha: a development environment for the development of MBE workbenches and viewpoints
  • Capella: an MBE workbench including Kitalpha runtime framework
  • Capella Studio platform = Kitalpha + Capella MBE + Integration of Capella in Kitalpha (The post Viewpoint DSL project creation is a good example).

A perspective is not defined in the ISO/IEC 42010 standard. It could be considered as plan of analysis.

For instance, Capella has different levels of abstraction (System, Logical, Physical, etc.). Validation and release management information can be added at different levels. One perspective could be dedicated to the Release where cross-level software elements are identified by a release.

I hope that that explanations will help you in understanding the differences between Kitalpha, Capella and Capella Studio. Feel free to ask us for more information or details.

Best regards.
Previous Topic: Parametrization of vpdsl Generation
Next Topic: Release of Kitalpha 1.1.0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Mar 29 15:18:55 EST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00766 seconds